MZ Backup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital)

+3
Equine_Woman
groovysmurf
Nancy
7 posters

Go down

Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital) Empty Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital)

Post by Nancy Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 am

Clare and I just got back from meeting her other Oncologist. This Dr. is closer than the one she has now and may be needed in case Clare needs immediate attention while we are home. The appointment was just to meet her and so that she could put a face to Clare.

On Sunday, I had Clare at our local hospital because she had fallen and had cuts on her knees. Normally, this owould be nothing but where she is receiving Chemo and her Platlette count was so low, when she started bleeding and then stopped and then started bleeding from the cut, we decided to take her. When were got there, it took 45 minutes, instead of the 15 it is supposed to take to be triaged. THEN...after waiting another 30 minutes, I decided she wasn't triaged properly, since she is a treat promptly case and asked for her to be triaged again. She was and then was waited another 30 mintues for the Dr. on call to see her. I thought they would do a blood test to check her platelettes again and thought they should already have checked and cleaned her knees. The on call Doc was surprised that the nurse hadn't bothered to clean her knees better with their antiseptic. And they were surprised that we had to wait with the general public which is a huge huge no no where Clare is Immune compromised. The Oncologist was shocked that there wasn't even a blood test done on the weekend. I told her that I thought they would do one and she was amazed at their lack of follow through.

Clare is supposed to be a treat promptly case which means that as soon as she arrives at the Hospital she is coded red. She wasn't. I am glad the Oncologist today was able to clarify what I already knew. I am also glad that our hospital showed how ill equiped it is to handle a patient such as Clare, before it was anything more serious.

Nancy

Back to top Go down

Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital) Empty Re: Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital)

Post by groovysmurf Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 am

Wow! I would have been furious!! Did you tell them when you checked in that she was a code red? I really hope they pull their heads out their butt for a next time she has to go there!
groovysmurf
groovysmurf

http://www.glitter-graphics.com/users/groovysmurf

Back to top Go down

Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital) Empty Re: Clare's Oncologist Appointment (Sheds Some Light on Our Hospital)

Post by Equine_Woman Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Oh man!!! Next time you will have to raise a little hell it sounds like!!! I'm glad you found all this out like you said, before it was a serious serious issue!! All hospitals are like that in my experience. Do just enough but don't go above and beyond anything. .
Equine_Woman
Equine_Woman
Admin

https://mommazonebackup.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Nancy Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

The most she is supposed to wait is 15 min. Actually, there is a sign in the Hospital that says "If you have waited longer than 15 minutes to be triaged. Please see the desk immdeiately and let them know."

There was someone who had passed away, before he was brought into the hospital and they were busy letting people in to say their goodbyes to him and that is what took so long. I am trying not to sound like I have no compassion, but dead is dead...he could wait. Clare could have been brought in, like she was supposed to be and kept away from the general public and then those saying their goodbyes to this man could have done so, in a seperate room.

I spoke to our City Hospital, the one where Clare was diagnosed, after I posted the above post. They are calling our hospital again and explaining again, exactly what a treat promptly card and a code red patient are. I guess this was a good 'dry run' to let us know what the issues are.

Nancy

Back to top Go down

Post by groovysmurf Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Equine_Woman wrote:All hospitals are like that in my experience. Do just enough but don't go above and beyond anything. .
Amen to that! Our hospital is pitiful when it comes to that!
groovysmurf
groovysmurf

http://www.glitter-graphics.com/users/groovysmurf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:14 pm

That's ridiculous! I hope they straighten up and realize what the deal is if you ever have to go in for emergency care again.
Sarah
Sarah

http://nwc-orca.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Billie75 Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Oh Nancy! Friggin bunch of morons we have here! They get a nice new hospital for us but the staff is still a bunch of fn idiots! Angie had to go through that crap when dawn's platelettes would drop and they took her in but at least dawn was older and not fighting cancer. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR WHAT A BUNCH OF A$$HOLES!!! OMG!!! Sorry but I'm just sooo mad!
Billie75
Billie75

Back to top Go down

Post by loomistunes Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Well I hope some heads had rolled on that one.. how sad is that... poor Clare.. I am glad that you reported them they certainley need to be repremanded for that..Well at least you like you said have gotten a pre run of what idiots they are there.. Good luck with future visits to that place.. they call a hospital!
loomistunes
loomistunes

Back to top Go down

Post by redfoxster Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 am

That is sad that they don't really know how to handle situations like that. I'm glad you have a local oncologist though so that now she can be involved in Clare's care.
redfoxster
redfoxster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down